Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Connectedness

Recently, my sister spent a week with me. During her stay we watched a lot of movies. While they were of varying genres, to me there seemed to be an underlying theme, that being, “we are all connected.” While I have always had a sense of the essence of our connectedness, the theme of connectedness has been intuitively prominent over the past several weeks and not just within the movies my sister and I watched or the following examples.
Creating a Facebook page has reconnected me with good friends I had in high school. I am more connected with my nieces and nephews. It’s fun to read their updates; to have a view of their day where I would not otherwise have. I’ve reconnected with people I worked with in the past, served on various committees with, and friends of my children who were in and out of my home while the kids were growing up.
Another episode happened to me this morning while I was comparing an older penny with a newer one. The phrase, “E Pluribus Unum, Out of Many, One,” struck me and again the theme resonated. I’m not sure why, but knowing E Pluribus Unum has 13 letters I decided to see how many letters connectedness has. You guessed it; it has 13 letters. In numerology 13 would be representative of the number 4 (1+3=4). Four is a primal, organic, solid number. Think of the 4 seasons, 4 elements, 4 sides of a square, and looking at 4 as such it becomes a strong number within the physical realm, the realm in which we dwell. If one of the sides of a square is removed it loses its durability and function; think of your home. The 4 elements – earth, air, water, fire – are essential to life in the physical realm. The 4 seasons are dependent on and thus connected with each other.
Until this morning I felt my 49th year was going to be a personal, solitary journey of which I would only be sharing with you. And, I’ve had several friends and family who have commented they will follow me on my 49th year journey as I journal it here. I’m not comfortable with the word follow as I don’t feel I am a leader. And, yes, it is going to be a personal, solitary journey but, I have now come to realize I cannot experience the fullness and purpose of my 49th year journey without you, my family and friends. All of you are welcome within the 4 walls of my home. You are all like the 4 elements which are necessary for life in the physical realm. We are dependent on each other as the ever changing 4 seasons. You see, we are all connected, and thus the 49th year journey continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment