Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Wacky, Wondrous, Whatever, What If Wednesday #12

“A human being is part of a whole, called by us the Universe, a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest--a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.”
Albert Einstein
Last week, my son Dillon and I ventured south to St. George to take care of business. While there, we took the opportunity to visit the bookstore, after all it was part of taking care of business since Dillon was moving to Denver and needed a large book style atlas of the state.
The bookstore has always been an enticing playground for my children and me. Once inside, he and I wandered our separate ways traveling various isles to linger among the genres which spoke to us this day. After about an hour we remembered why we were there in the first place. Together we set out to find an atlas.
On our way to check out; with more than just the atlas; he caught glimpse of a Time special magazine devoted to Albert Einstein. Knowing how much I admire Einstein he said, “Mom, you’ll like this.”
“Oh I would, I love Einstein. You know, I have wanted to do a college book of Einstein quotes. This would be perfect.”
It was a bit pricey and deep inside I knew I wouldn’t be able to bring myself to cut it up or add glue and paint to the pages. Full of articles and photos, I had to have this magazine. It would be another one of which I would treasure and keep whole.
We piled our finds at check out and I completed our purchase. As I went to leave Dillon stayed behind for a moment, he knows me so well, he thoughtfully purchased another copy of the magazine. “Here Mom, you have one to keep and one to create with.”
This morning I began to look up Einstein quotes to add to the ones I already have. When I came across this one I knew I had to share it for Wacky, Wondrous, Whatever, What If Wednesday. Each line of this quote has depth in and of itself. While I could comment at a personal level of each line, I thought I’d share it here, hoping you’ll be inspired to assimilate the quote for yourself. How does it apply, wacky, wondrous, whatever, what if?
Okay, I have to make one comment because it seems to be a continuous reminder, a lesson for me on this, my 49th year journey. I am a child of the Universe, a part of the whole, and the parts are never greater than the sum…Enjoy!


No comments:

Post a Comment