Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Wacky, Wondrous, Whatever Wednesday #6

This quote speaks to the numerous depths of self. I hope you find it thought provoking, inspiring, comforting, confirming...even if you don't call yourself an artist, you are, everyone is, a creative being, thus, I believe, it applies to all of us. We so often close ourselves in, set up bars, barriers, boarders...never be a prisioner to self. May you find it simply wondrous to set yourself free today...
"A picture must possess a real power to generate light and for a long time now I’ve been conscious of expressing myself through light or rather in light.
I have always tried to hide my efforts and wished my works to have a light joyousness of springtime which never lets anyone suspect the labors it has cost me.
An artist must never be a prisoner. Prisoner? An artist should never be a prisoner of himself, prisoner of style, prisoner of reputation, prisoner of success, etc.
There is nothing more difficult for a truly creative painter than to paint a rose, because before he can do so he has first to forget all the roses that were ever painted.
I do not literally paint that table, but the emotion it produces upon me. I don’t paint things. I only paint the difference between things.
He who loves, flies, runs, and rejoices; he is free and nothing holds him back.
Work cures everything."

by Henri Matisse (1869 – 1954 )

No comments:

Post a Comment