Thursday, May 5, 2011

Yoga: My Wonderland Adventure

Speaking of following the White Rabbit down the rabbit’s hole; "In another moment down went Alice after it, never once considering how in the world she was to get out again.”
Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland by Lewis Carroll
Who knew yoga could be such an intense work out. During last night’s yoga set I truly did bust a sweat and oh how wonderful it was for mind, body, and spirit. There were several exercises which required standing and Melanie never flinched when it came to me. She had my chair brought upstairs to the studio and, without missing a beat, said, “Julia, get in your chair. Julia, you can do this on the floor. Yes, you still have ankles, cross them.” I am deeply grateful to her and the sweet ladies in this class who never once view me as an oddity or kinda freaky; ever willing to assist but never intruding on my stubborn independence.  
At times I think I ought to attempt yoga with my legs on, but they are so confining, weighty, and not very workable nor positionable. In all actuality one would probably fling off; what an oopsy daisy moment that would be. Was it cheating during our leg lifts as I’m about 15 pounds lighter? After climbing in and out of the chair for the third time I decided there was no cheating, only a trade off. I had to giggle while we were doing some floor rolls; for only being 3/4 of a person, I sure was all over the place.
I have mentioned before, Kundalini Yoga is like becoming reacquainted with a long lost friend, maybe more like a lover, or a soul mate. It is drawing me closer, becoming more powerful not only in the physical aspects but the mental and spiritual as well. The mantras are extremely powerful and moving for me. Written within one of my earlier posts, I speak about how prayer and meditation are the keys to peace. As I take prayer and meditation deeper, I am discovering the validity of this truth.
“Why do you repeat the mantra hundreds of times? To create a stamina, an absolute mental stamina. Without that there is no chance for the life to be smooth. If somebody refuses to exercise, nobody can force him. But at that one moment in life when that person needs physical stamina, it won’t be there. Sadhana is what your mental stamina requires. Love is what your spiritual stamina requires.”
Yogi Bhajan
Sadhana - (Sanskrit). A key form of tantric meditation through which a practitioner aims to achieve union or identity with a particular divine being through a process of visualization and subsequent dissolution of subject and object into emptiness (śūnyatā).
Answers.com

During the class closing meditation last night, I had a thought, an awakening, of something of which I knew, sort of, but now brought into a fresh perspective for me. A thought difficult to articulate in words but one which became simply clearer within. Here is the thought: the depth of our being is as far reaching, as vast, as eternal, as expanding as the universe. Going within oneself is as a journey beyond; beyond the known, beyond the boundaries, beyond the beyond. Not in a scary haphazard way but in a comforting trusting way. A letting go, knowing I am tethered to the Source; knowing I am tethered to God.

The long drive home last night provided plenty of time for this simply beautiful thought to begin to soak in. It is soaking even deeper today, elevating me; my soul over flowing with joy. I don’t know why (or maybe I do) but again I am reminded of Alice’s trip down the rabbit’s hole and I again ask myself, how far do I dare go? Knowing I am tethered to God, the Creator of all things, the true Source, I will just go, deeper and deeper finding stops along the way in which to explore, learn, grow, transform, then let go and journey some more.

So now I ask, "how far down your rabbit’s hole will you go?" It's okay, take the journey.



No comments:

Post a Comment